Periodic updates from CAPTE. Access archived versions at bottom of page.
CAPTE provides periodic updates, at least twice a year, on policy and procedure updates, changes to the standards and required elements, new regulations, leadership and staff changes, as well as other topics and areas of interest to faculty, program directors, and onsite reviewers.
December 18, 2020
Rules of Practice and Procedure
No changes were made to CAPTE's Rules of Practice and Procedure at the Nov. 3, 2020 CAPTE meeting. Programs are reminded that it is their responsibility to adhere to the most current set of Rules and to seek clarification if needed. As always, you are encouraged to contact us if you need assistance.
The USDE passed new/revised regulations Nov. 1, 2019 that went into effect July 1, 2020. A full review of CAPTE's Rules is currently being conducted and, if changes are indicated, they will be proposed and voted on at future CAPTE meetings to ensure compliance with the revised USDE regulations.
Programs are reminded to review CAPTE's website for updates related to guidance for dealing with the impact of COVID-19 on programs. The most recent Oct. 5, 2020 guidance indicated that USDE extended the deadline for all flexibilities related to the COVID-19 emergency through the end of the payment period that includes Dec. 31, 2020, or the end of the payment period that includes the end date for the federally declared public health emergency (PHE) related to COVID-19, whichever occurs later. Based on this, programs will be allowed to teach online for the spring semester and subsequent semesters without submitting and getting approval of an Application for Approval of Substantive Change from CAPTE, as long as the COVID-19 PHE is in effect. We will continue to provide updates as USDE issues new information. All other previously issued CAPTE COVID-19 guidance remains in effect. CAPTE COVID-19 guidance documents can be found on CAPTE's website at: CAPTE Response to COVID-19
Standards and Required Elements Changes
Clarifying changes were made to several of the PT and PTA Standards and Required Elements (SRE). The updated documents can be found on CAPTE's website under CAPTE Accreditation Handbook.
One Element had changes made in the wording of the Element: 6M – PT
The following Elements had changes made in the Element and in the Evidence of Compliance Narrative:
- 1C4 – PT & PTA
- 2A – PT & PTA
- 3B – PT & PTA
- 3C – PT & PTA
- 4A – PT & PTA
- 4G – PT & PTA
- 4I – PT & PTA
- 4N – PT & PTA
The following Elements had changes only made in the Evidence of Compliance Narrative:
- 1C2 – PT & PTA
- 1C5 – PT & PTA
- 2B1 – PT & PTA
- 2B2 – PT & PTA
- 2B3 – PT & PTA
- 2B4 – PT & PTA
- 2B5 – PT & PTA
- 2C – PT & PTA
- 3A – PT & PTA
- 3F – PT & PTA
- 4D – PT & PTA
- 6J3 – PTA
- 6L3 – PT
- 7C – PTA
- 7D – PT
USDE and CHEA Recognition of CAPTE
CAPTE is accredited as a programmatic accreditor by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). The submission of CAPTE re‑recognition documents for USDE are due in April 2021 and for CHEA in Aug. 2021. It is anticipated that both accreditor liaisons will be attending the CAPTE Fall 2021 meeting.
As adopted at CAPTE's Fall 2018 meeting, programs are reminded that there is an accreditation fee increase for calendar years 2022 and 2023. The new fee is $4,750. Please be sure to account for this increase in the academic budgets for 2022 and 2023.
Program Website Requirement Reminder
In Dec. 2019, §8.20(b)(2) in CAPTE's Rules of Practice and Procedure was revised to require that first-time licensure pass rates averaged over the most recent two years be included with student outcomes that must be made public. Programs that do not have two years of data are expected to provide the data that is available. Please remember that CAPTE expects student outcomes to be updated annually at the time the program submits its Annual Accreditation Report (AAR). If you haven't done that, please do so. Accreditation staff will be checking program websites after the first of the year to ensure program compliance.
Change of Guard
New Commissioners were elected and retiring Commissioners were recognized at the CAPTE Fall 2020 Meeting.
CAPTE Panel Leadership Effective Jan. 1, 2021
- Pamela Ritzline, PT, EdD, Central Panel Chair and Chair of CAPTE
- Frank Bates, PT, DPT, MBA, Central Panel Vice Chair and Vice Chair of CAPTE
- Joyce Maring, PT, DPT, EdD, PT Panel Chair (re-elected)
- Peggy Gleeson, PT, PhD, PT Panel Vice Chair
- Sharon Reid, PT, MBA, PTA Panel Chair (re-elected)
- Lisa Stejskal, PTA, AAS, MAEd, PTA Panel Vice Chair
New Commissioners Beginning Their Terms Jan. 1, 2021
- Patricia Brown, PT, DPT, MS, re-elected to Central Panel – Clinician Member
- Janice Haas, PTA, MS, elected to Central Panel – Previous PTA Panel Member
- Karen Bock, PT, MPT, elected to PT Panel – PT Clinical Educator Active in Clinical Teaching and Clinical Practice
- Lisa Bradley, PT, DPT, MSW, elected to PT Panel – Curriculum Development
- Sammi Beckmann, PTA, MBA, elected to PTA Panel – PTA Educator
- Kathryn Zalewski, PT, PhD, MPA, elected to PTA Panel – PT Educator
Commissioners Completing Their Terms Dec. 31, 2020
- Patricia Brown, PT, DPT, MS, Central Panel – Clinician Member
- Doreen Stiskal, PT, PhD, Central Panel Previous PTA Panel Member and Chair of CAPTE
- Diane Clark, PT, DScPT, MBA, PT Panel – Curriculum Development
- Patricia Trela, PT, DPT, PT Panel – PT Clinical Educator Active in Clinical Teaching and Clinical Practice
- Cindy Buchanan, PT, PhD, PTA Panel – PT Educator
- Jason Dougherty, PTA, MEd, PTA Panel – PTA Educator
- Tracy Zimmerman, PTA Panel – Public Member
2020 Mary Jane Harris Distinguished Service Award Recipients
The following three individuals were recognized for their service and dedication to CAPTE:
- Beth Marcoux, PT, DPT, PhD
- Michael Emery, PT, EdD, FAPTA
- Carol Fawcett, PTA, MEd
Accreditation Staff Update
Interviews are being held for the Director and Lead PTA Programs Specialist positions. It is hoped that individuals for these positions will be identified in the near future.
Welcome to New Staff
We are excited that Kristy Gramling will be assuming the position of Senior Accreditation Office Coordinator the first of the year. Kristy has served as the Operations Manager for the Professional Affairs Department of APTA and has assisted with numerous meetings and events such as CSM, ELC, and NEXT over the past couple years. Kristy loves spending her free time outdoors riding her bike or taking her dogs for a long walk in the woods. Accreditation staff are excited to have her join the Accreditation staff team!
Accreditation Staff Contact List
Candy Bahner, PT, DPT, MS (Accreditation - Interim Director)
Phone: 703/706-3242 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ellen Price, PT, MEd (Accreditation - Interim Lead PT Programs Specialist)
Phone: 703/706-8593 | Email: email@example.com
Cindy Mihelich, PT, MEd (Accreditation - Interim Lead PTA Programs Specialist)
Phone: 703/706-3213 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mike Chevalier, PTA, AAS, BS (Accreditation - Lead Pre-Accreditation Specialist)
Phone: 703/706-3385 | Email: email@example.com
Tim Artis (Sr. Accreditation Projects Coordinator)
Phone: 703/706-3173 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Eva Donley (Accreditation Office Manager)
Phone: 703/706-3243 | Email: email@example.com
Teresa Emmons, PTA, AS, BS (PTA Programs Specialist)
Phone: 703/706-3231 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kristy Gramling (Sr. Accreditation Office Coordinator) (effective 1/3/2021)
Phone: 703/706-3244 | Email: email@example.com
Tasha Johnson (Sr. Accreditation On-site Visit & Travel Coordinator)
Phone: 703/706-3247 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
International Accreditation/Certification- the Task Force has created a survey to be distributed to international PT programs. The survey will collect information on programs interested in CAPTE accreditation/recognition. Distribution of the survey has been delayed due to the worldwide impact of COVID-19.
Scholarship- the Task Force proposed an updated Physical Therapy Faculty and Scholarship Position Paper which was approved at the CAPTE Fall 2020 meeting. The update provides additional guidance for defining scholarship for PT faculty. The new document can be found here: Position Papers.
Core Faculty– the Task Force proposed a Core Faculty Determination Table which was approved at the CAPTE Fall 2020 meeting. The new Core Faculty Determination Table is intended to be a resource for program directors of DPT programs when considering whether a faculty member is core or not. The table identifies core faculty characteristics delineated in both the definition of core faculty and in related required elements to assist in determining an individual's role within the program. The table can be found here: Core Faculty Determination Table
CAPTE Student Debt– the Task Force has been actively meeting over the past few months, and plans to submit a proposal for consideration by the Central Panel at its Winter 2021 meeting, which will include draft PT and PTA Financial Fact sheets to be piloted with a group of PT and PTA programs in 2021.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion– the Task Force held its first meeting on Dec. 1, 2020. Members of the group include Pam Ritzline, PT, EdD, Chair; Patricia Brown, PT, DPT, MS; Kyle Covington, PT, DPT, PhD; Peggy Gleeson, PT, PhD; Alvaro Gurovich, PT, PhD; Greg Hicks, PT, PhD; Kai Kennedy, PT, DPT; Sharon Reid, PT, MBA; Matt Seiler, RN, Esq; and Candy Bahner, PT, DPT, MS, Interim Director. The next meeting of the group is scheduled for Jan. 21, 2021.
Save the Date
CAPTE Town Hall Meeting for Program Directors
- Town Hall Meeting for PTA Program Directors - Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2021 (4-7 pm ET)
- Town Hall Meeting for PT Program Directors - Thursday, Jan. 14, 2021 (4-7 pm ET)
Accreditation Department Workshops
Developing Program Workshop – held as a three-part webinar series
- Wednesday, January 27, 2021 (12 pm – 3:30 pm ET)
- Friday, January 29, 2021 (12 pm – 3:30 pm ET)
- Wednesday, February 3, 2021 (12 pm – 3:30 pm ET)
PT Program Self-study Workshop – held as a three-part webinar series
- Monday, March 1, 2021 (2 pm - 5 pm ET)
- Thursday, March 4, 2021 (2 pm - 5 pm ET)
- Monday, March 8, 2021 (2 pm - 5 pm ET)
PTA Program self-study Workshop – held as a three-part webinar series
- Wednesday, March 3, 2021 (12 pm - 3 pm ET)
- Tuesday, March 9, 2021 (12 pm - 3 pm ET)
- Thursday, March 11, 2021 (12 pm - 3 pm ET)
Actions Taken at the Fall 2020 CAPTE Meeting
At its Fall 2020 meeting, the Commission actions included:
- Six Candidate for Accreditation decisions (two PT and four PTA).
- Six Initial Accreditation status decisions (one PT and five PTA).
- Five Continue Candidate for Accreditation status decisions (two PT and three PTA.
- 243 Reaffirm/Continue Accreditation status decisions, i.e., remove probation, warning, remove warning, defer action, return to CAPTE set class size, following review of program notifications and/or FSBPT data, and continue accreditation with or without a Compliance Report (126 PT and 117 PTA).
- Granted two Withdraw Accreditation status decisions at institution request (two PTA).
- Two Withdraw Accreditation status decisions (two PTA – one sought reconsideration).
- Five Applications for Approval of Substantive Change requests (two PT and three PTA).
- 12 Probationary Accreditation decisions, i.e., continue or place on probation (four PT and eight PTA).
- Reviewed the most recent pass rates provided by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy for all PT and PTA programs.